The ten different types of sinks in the market have made not less than a challenge to choose an ideal one for the kitchen. Yes, the number of variations in sinks is more than enough to make the normal customer confused.
For your new home, it will be better for you to focus on two basic types. One is the Undermount sinks and another one is the drop-in sink.
A few years ago drop-in sink was nothing but a priority to the homeowners.
But the days have changed. Undermount sinks have also become a lucrative model for the homeowners.
Maybe it has various types of complications aspect while purchasing one.
Everything You Should Know About Undermount Sink & Drop-in Sink
But instead of such complications, it became a premium and exotic for everyone. Choosing one between Undermount and drop-in sink is difficult, especially when they are becoming competitive in many aspects.
This sink is known as self-rimming or top-mount sink. It is one of the most popular sink. The main feature of this sink is, it does a visible lip around the perimeter.
This lip used to hold the sink when the whole sink drops straight in the countertop cut out. It also needs some metal clip which helps to control the movement and secure it.
This is the type which is available in various materials like the enameled cast iron, porcelain, stone, stainless steel, ceramic and last the engineered stone.
In this single type, various shapes and size available. There are lots of reasons to choose a drop-in sink. Some of these are given below.
- Undermount is sink is not easy to install, but Drop-in the sink does not have such a problem. If you do not have any hole in your countertop, then make one and just place the sink. So, the installation process also faster than other methods.
- Most of the drop-in sink come is an average price. If you consider the price, then this sink is approximately 50 percent less than Undermount sink. But it must be in the same material and size as well.
- This sink can be installed in almost every type of countertop material.
Knowing all the good and bad side of this sink will be great for you to know which sink is the best for you. Drop-in sink has some disadvantage besides its popularity.
- This sink can get dirty easily. So during the installation, you must fill up every possible gap between the rim and countertop. Otherwise, dirt will become a headache for you. But one thing you also should keep it in mind that, the caulk that is used to fill the rim not going to last forever.
- This type of sink is very much harder to clean.
From the name, you can easily imagine why this sink has such a name. It must install from below the counter. Like other sinks, it also has a rim.
But this rim is not visible because of this sink installation method. It attached to the bottom. This rim also helps to hold the weight of the sink as well.
People love that sink which also looks stylistic. This style also comes with the same material as drop-in comes. Instead of the same material, it is heavier than before.
So it becomes very difficult to support for installation. Make a statement about all the pros and cons of this sink will enrich your knowledge about the Undermount sink.
- People love to make their countertop unique and stylish using various types of material like polished stone. It not only durable but also looks great. So, an owner wants a sink which does not destroy the beauty. In this case, Undermount sink is the best option.
- This sink is more hygienic than other sinks because the edge of this sink is below the countertop. So, there is no chance to collect debris. Most of the drop-in sink catches crumbs and liquids, but this sink does not. You can wipe liquids and directly into the sink.
- You will get some free space after installing this sink. The other sinks cannot give you the same facility.
- If the countertop is made of that material which cannot hold the weight of Undermount sink, then installing a heavy Udnermount sink is not the wisest decision.
- The support that is used to hold the sink fails somehow, then the whole sink can be sag.
To redefine the character of your favorite kitchen, a perfect kitchen sink surely will be a great help.
But the important thing is you need to determine which type will be the best for your kitchen and countertop setup. There are a few details you have to look at.
Maybe some of these are major, some are minor and even the minor details can be a big deal for you when it changes all the matter related to the sink. It can have an impact on the usability of your kitchen.