Last Updated on
Do you why beautiful things are beautiful? Because they’ve kept that way. So, you can say that something staying beautiful relies on how we are going to treat it.
The same thing is applicable for kitchen stuffs as well. Your kitchen is not beautiful because it was made that way, but it was kept that way. Farmhouse sinks are considered to be one of the major elements within a kitchen that can have an amazing contribution in turning it into a beautiful one.
But keeping it that way totally up to you. So, it is pretty obvious that you need to keep it under proper maintenance and cleaning.
Now comes the question – how to clean farmhouse sink?
Today I am going to tell you about farmhouse sink maintenance and cleaning. Yeah! You might be thinking what is there new to say, take a cloth and wipe it out.
How To Clean Farmhouse Sink – Keep it clean to keep your kitchen look good
As simple as that. Then I must say, you need to think a little more than that.
We all there are Three materials that are mostly used for making farmhouse sinks – Fireclay, porcelain, Copper.
But not all these sink’s surface is of equal smoothness. Like the materials they are built with, but also the way of cleaning and maintaining them.
Let’s come to the first one which is Fireclay Farmhouse sink.
Fireclay Farmhouse Sinks Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
If you have a Fireclay farmhouse sink at your house, then you suppose to know what Fireclay is. Fireclay is a highly durable material that is made with the combination of clay & glaze and fired with an extreme temperature of 1600-2000 degrees.
There is a huge similarity between Cast iron and Fireclay sinks, though clearly by most of the users of farmhouse sink, Fireclay is better than cast iron in specific aspects.
When you will compare these two from cleaning perspective, you cannot use abrasive cleaners and the enamel is also has higher chances of getting scratched.
One of the major reasons for enameled cast iron getting rust is that it contains metal element.
But as Fireclay farmhouse sinks don’t do that, it doesn’t get stained or rusted. Here are some tips that will helpful for you, if you have a Fireclay farmhouse sink at your home.
- Mild cleaners are the best option for cleaning Fireclay farmhouse sinks. For wiping the sink up, it will be the best if you can use some mild cloths.
- After cleaning the sinks, there is always a possibility of having some water spots. So, if you don’t want to have them, then take a soft cloth and dry the sink.
- At the time cleaning you might see heavier gunk. For scraping them off, you can use plastic spatulas. But with these spatulas it might be a little difficult to get rid of completely. In such cases use a scrubber to scrub it off.
- Baking soda can be really helpful for getting rid of crusted on gunk. And mild abrasive cleaner will do good as well.
- Using wax over the surface of the sink is a good idea as it helps to flow the water and other liquids more easily.
- Stay away from using any kind of steeled wool, because it will leave metallic marks on it.
- Don’t use metallic spatulas or utensils to get rid of dried food. You might end up in scratching the sink.
- When you are putting any heavy pans or pots in the sink, put them in a gentle way so that you don’t get the sink cracked with a drop.
- Acidic foods can cause some spots on your sink that might be really difficult to get rid of. So, make sure that if you or anyone else spill tomato sauce, wine, tea or coffee in the sink, cleaning it up within a few minutes before it gets dry and hard to clean up.
- Just because Fireclay sinks don’t catch rust, doesn’t mean you can keep metal utensils or tools for a long time. The rust in these metallic utensils might cause some stains on your sink and you most probably not going to like it much.
- Though one should stay cautious about putting steeled pans or pots from which the rust spot might catch sink, but what if any how it happens? In such situation, make a paste with any mild abrasive cleaner. Put it on that spot and rub it. Take a soft cloth and pour water over it until it gets completely wet. Rub the spot gently till the spot is gone.
The Fireclay farmhouse sink is one of the best sinks you can have in your kitchen. Because its unique features have always been able to draw the attention of those whose actually know what can make a kitchen look better. But keeping it that way depends on how you are maintaining it and how much cleanliness you are ensuring with it.
Porcelain Farmhouse Sinks Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
Porcelain sinks are also one of the mostly used farmhouse sinks. Like other beautiful sinks this one also mostly is of great designs and outlooks.
The cleaning process of porcelain is also pretty much similar to the Fireclay sinks. Let’s have a glance on the tips that can help you in keeping your porcelain sink cleaning and shining.
- You surely don’t want to get your sink scratched. If so, then don’t even think about using brushes that contain hard bristles as they can cause scratches to your sink.
- Use mild abrasive cleaners whenever there are any stains that doesn’t go easily.
- There are cast iron silk cleaners that can be really helpful for making your porcelain farmhouse sink more shining.
- It will better for you if you can just cook the cookware, so that the extreme heat doesn’t cause any crack on he surface of your beautiful sink.
- Things like tea bags, coffee grounds can cause stains on your sink. So, make sure that you are keeping them away from your sink.
- Use baking soda for cleaning the sink instead of anything like vinegar.
- Keep high acid cleaners away from your sink if you want to keep your sink as good as new.
Copper Farmhouse Sink Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
Copper farmhouse sinks are well known for their durability and ability to prevent corrosion. But even after that, this sink needs not only occasional polishing, but also wax protectant under certain circumstances so that the look can stay as good as new.
One of the best things about Copper farmhouse is that, it is impossible for bacteria to survive for a long time on this sink as copper is naturally anti-becterial. Now let’s come to the tips part which can really help you to keep your sink fresh and clean.
- As this sink is anti-bacterial, you don’t need to worry about cleaning it every couple of hours. For keeping it clean rinsing it up is enough.
- Foods with high acid is never good for your sink and can be harmful for the finish of your sink. So after cleaning dishes with it, rinse your sink as early as possible after cleaning.
- Unlike the porcelain farmhouse sink you can use some mild vinegar along with baking soda. I am suggesting you for that because instead of your sink being made of copper it can get damaged by normal cleaners.
- For occasional cleaning wet clothes are better for the sink. You can also use some sponge for that.
Farmhouse sink is one of the best sinks you can have in your kitchen. Because its unique features have always been able to draw the attention of those whose actually know what can make a kitchen look better.
But keeping it that way depends on how you are maintaining it and how much cleanliness you are ensuring with it. Hopefully the tips above will help you in this manner.