Faucet covers are essential for north east part of the country, where you rarely see the sun comes out in the winter.
Faucet covers are mainly created with Styrofoam and plastic body protection, which keep the faucet temperature under control in cold weather.
Keep on reading, As I will discuss how faucet cover works or when do you need one? You will be able to know the importance of faucet cover because of it.
Do faucet covers work?
As I am using a faucet cover in my backyard and it’s performing quite well. In my situation I have no reason but to suggest you to use a faucet cover.
Are outdoor faucet covers necessary?
Faucet covers are required in every situation, whether you’re living in the coldest or hottest area. In the coldest area, you can prevent freezing pipes and taps. And in the hottest area, you can simply protect the faucet from unwanted hits, prevent curious child attention & blocking the pest from entering the faucet.
- Weather protection: You live in the coldest part of the nation; you must need to use a faucet cover. Otherwise, you need to face the consequences of a freezing pipeline. Fixing a frozen pipe takes a lot of effort.
- Pest Protection: People often forgot to cover the faucet. Few insects can get inside of your pipeline and make a nest there and contaminating the water. If left alone, this might be a great deal of health hazard. You can easily avoid it by using a faucet cover.
- Beautification: By applying a faucet cover, one can easily give a great aesthetic look to their house and lawn. It can increase the beauty of the house. Back in the day, it was available in 1 or 2 colors. Now it is available in different types of colors. You can always choose a fitted color that suits your home. Tips: make sure you choose a color that matches the house color, or it can be an odd-looking thing.
- Children safety: Children always play and parting on the lawn or outside of the house. So often, they stumble into the faucet. A faucet cover is an easy solution to prevent stumble massively and almost zero hurt from stumbling. Also, while taking a bath in the bathroom, it can give extra safety, so the babies don’t get hurt.
In my case, the faucet cover helped me a lot. Especially for the people like me who are living in the cold area. Also, it’s a good measure for beautifying lawn and house from odd shapes of faucets. I also use it for safety measures as I have small children in my home.
When are faucet covers needed?
The faucet cover will help you to protect your outdoor faucets. Mainly Faucet covers are needed in cold areas like mine. But in the hotter region, you also can use it for pest protection, beautifying the lawn garden, and reduced the unwanted attention from people.
Do faucet covers prevent freezing?
Yes, Faucet covers can prevent your pipe freezing with enough insulation. Faucet covers are mainly created with Styrofoam and plastic body protection, which keep the faucet temperature under control in freezing cold weather. In the northeast area like mine, you must need to include faucet cover in houses.
Faucet cover works by trapping the heat inside of the interior pipes.
The insulated Styrofoam & plastic prevents this heat from escaping your pipeline and keep the outside faucet from freezing.
It’s a proven method, I am relaying on it for freezing cold weather.
How cold are faucet covers good for?
The faucet covers good for any cold-weather situation. Usually, If you are living under 10–20-degree F cold weather. In my case, Faucet cover works very well without any problem.
But the case can be different if you are living in under 28-degree F. The scenario is different; you need to take extra measures such as extra insulation, proper sealing, keeping the water heater on.
|Under 0-20°F||Under 25°F – to above|
|Can handle smoothly||Bit hardy to handle|
|Less heating Required||Must use extra heating|
|Fewer chances of pipe freezing||Without proper insulation, chances of pipe freezing|
Do I need faucet covers?
Oh yes, you need one! Whether it is for safety measures or for preventing pipe freezing. It’s a necessary item for every household, preventing pipe freezing and safety. Safety is a measure issue in every house.
In many households, the connection tap is open in lawn or grudge so insects can easily penetrate it. Also, small children can stumble in and get hurt from it. Definitely you need one.
Here’s a chart, with this you can come to a conclusion on whether you need a faucet cover:
|For preventing pipe freezing||Yes|
|For Pest issues||Yes|
What can I use if I don’t have a faucet cover?
You can use duct tape to wrap up the faucet and wrap it up with old t-shirts with a plastic bag. It will work fine! But for a certain degree Celsius. It can be applied when you don’t have the time in hand, and the winter is already knocking.
People often try to make DIY faucet cover for time and money issues. But this is a quick solution if you can make the thing correctly.
Making a DIY faucet cover:
- Make a pouch with suitable fabrics.
- Now, take an old t-shirt or a rag to cover the faucet as snugly as possible.
- Cover the faucet with the pouch, wrap it with plastic bags, and tighten it with 3-4 layers of duct tape.
- Make sure it’s properly fitted.
There you go, Easy solution for faucet cover. Make sure to drip inside the faucet if the cold is staying long. It will help the pipe not getting frozen.
Can you break faucet cover?
Yes, you can break the faucet cover if a certain amount of force is used. Usually, one needs to use brute force to tear it apart. As it’s built with Styrofoam and plastic, children won’t be able to break it easily.
It is disturbing when you see pipe freezing for not using faucet cover. Use faucet cover prevent situations like these.
Most people use Faucet cover from different brands. If you apply them correctly, it should work perfectly. Does it work? In a nutshell, the faucet cover is the number one choice for any plumber to prevent pipe freezing and house insect prevention.